(Originally published on http://www.capecod.com/community/north-conway-winter-getaway/)
Surrounded by mountains and filled with fun, North Conway NH is a great weekend getaway for families. In this quintessential mountain village combining outdoor activities with well-known outlet shopping, it’s easy to be as busy as you’d like or simply relax and enjoy the scenery.
Top 10 Winter Tips for a Fun Family Getaway Off Cape
The first 5 tips are great for anyone visiting the North Conway, NH area and the next 5 tips are exclusively for guests of the Red Jacket Mountain View Resort.
Families visiting North Conway will want to try these 5 winter wonders:
- Ice Skating in Schouler Park: Bring your own skates for free ice skating on an outdoor rink in the middle of town (skate rentals are also available for a nominal fee).
- Cranmore Mountain: A great location for winter sports enthusiasts of all levels of expertise, Cranmore offers ski schools, tubing, a mountain coaster and a zip line as well as skiing and snowboarding trails.
- The Spa at Red Jacket Mountain View: Relax and rejuvenate in luxury at this resort spa which is open to the public. Treatments include hot stone massages, seaweed gel wraps, vitamineral facials and traditional manicures and pedicures. Special treatments are available for kids and teens.
- Outlet Shopping at Settlers’ Green: “Shop ‘til you drop” at this mecca of brand name outlets featuring such stores as Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, Carter’s, Chico’s, J. Crew, Nike, Talbot’s, Tommy Hilfiger, Toys R Us and Under Armour.
- Mount Washington Observatory Weather Discovery Center: This free, interactive science museum in the center of town highlights the climate and weather with fun exhibits including an air cannon, flow tank and wind room. Visitors also have the opportunity to interact via video link with workers at the summit weather station twice each day. A great family resort destination for a winter getaway is Red Jacket Mountain View Resort. In 2013, the resort won awards from Trip Advisor, Yankee Magazine and New Hampshire Magazine for its unique mix of natural beauty, family fun and guest service. Located on 25 acres in the heart of the White Mountains, Red Jacket Mountain View Resort’s stunning views, central location, exceptional service and full array of amenities have families returning year after year. Guests at this pet-friendly full-service resort have many options for accommodations from deluxe rooms to family lofts or spacious 2-bedroom townhouses and 4-bedroom Presidential homes. In addition to the popular dining locations and full-service spa, some of the guest favorites for winter vacation activities include:
- Kahuna Laguna: With a constant temperature of 82 degrees, this 40,000 square foot indoor water park at the resort will warm you up and provide hours of fun with a wave pool, four high-speed slides, water basketball, and an area designed specifically for toddlers and small children.
- Sledding: The resort features a sloped front lawn with more than an acre of snowy fun for family sledding. Sleds are provided by the resort.
- Snowshoeing: Bring your snowshoes and follow the 2.5 mile trail from the resort property directly to Pudding Pond.
- Outdoor Family Fun: Weekends at the resort feature free horse drawn wagon rides (or sleigh rides in the snow) as well as hot chocolate and roasted marshmallows around the fire pit.
- Indoor Family Activities: On weekends, holidays and school vacations, a full slate of family activities are offered by the resort including cookie decorating, snowman building, arts & crafts and movie nights.
So pack up your winter gear and make plans to head north, the family fun of North Conway, NH awaits!
For reservations at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort call 1-800-RJACKET or visit www.redjacketresorts.com. For additional information on North Conway, NH, visit www.mtwashingtonvalley.com.